Sunday, May 8, 2011

Just keep running

Every time I get pregnant I think, "THIS time I will keep working out through the pregnancy."  Alas, I am lying.  I never do.
I should start up again as I am only 10 lbs from my "no more weight than this" and am 26 weeks along.  Ummm...I am pretty sure that works out to more than 10 lbs using the 1 lb per week rule of thumb.
It is going to be so HARD to lose this weight this time, I can just feel it.  Sigh.
Anyone have any tricks for workouts / weight control during pregnancy?  You know, other than NOT eating a bowl of cereal or ice cream or having a cup of hot chocolate at 9 or 10pm? :)

5 comments:

  1. Last week I was going to do a pregnancy weight loss post, but never got around to it. It was an 8 week plan to be started at 36 weeks...

    Ok, here is what's working this time. I'm trying really hard to stick to that Brewer diet...most focus is with the white flour and sugar part as in don't eat it very often. I started to clean up my post Easter diet this weekend and today I have cheekbones again whereas last week I looked like a yellow smiley face. The water, the veg, has kept my weight steady for about 3 weeks (aren't I supposed to be gaining a lb a week?). I still have chub, but I feel better than I usually do and don't look as porky and don't feel like I'm walking on water balloons.

    Swimming at the indoor pool is the only way I was able to keep exercising during pregnancy and that was only with Joseph. I freaked out the lifeguards swimming at 41 weeks, but I LOVED it.

    I think that you can pretend it will be hard to lose weight after this pregnancy, but when you are training for the Army 10 miler next summer, you are going to find that last of the chub will disappear. Have Faith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With Mary's pregnancy, I was a devoted runner...until 26 weeks. I just can't see getting "back into" an exercise program at 26 weeks. Swimming sounds lovely. Walking is a runner up. I agree with the sugar and white flour avoidance. That includes Starbucks...

    I bought some flavored coffee creamers for Easter. I gave myself the octave to consume them. After that, there was still most of one pint left. I looked at the calorie amount - decided I would save it for Sunday. Holy hippo, Batman, it had 4x the calories of WHOLE milk.

    I think the hardest thing during pregnancy is minimizing snacking between meals. Best to have raw fruits and veggies sitting there for nibbling...then you'll avoid high calorie options like cheese or hummus or guacamole.

    I'm pretty sure the 1#/week applies to scrawny women with first babies. Those of us with proven mammary glands and generous hips could probably stand to worry about true baby weight only. Unless you want the BABY to gain 1#/week (yikes!), I think you can healthily shoot for half that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo! Just back from the midwife and the baby is appropriately sized, not over anymore, I haven't gained any weight, and I just bought an exercise ball for birth. Trying to figure out when I can make my pre-natal yoga dvd a part of my day. I love it but it's not really exercise like aerobic exercise. However, I do highly recommend it. Pre Natal Yoga with Shiva Rhea. Skip getting her post-partum one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good going Rachel!! I LOVE the exercise ball for anytime. I use it all through the end of the pregnancy. I need to get a bigger one (for some reason the two I have left after my doula days are too small for me but work for Eva's PT) so that I can sit on it at the desk. It is great for opening the pelvis, getting baby facing the correct way, relieving lower back pain and, in general, getting mom and baby lined up for birth.
    I am impressed with the no weight gain. I have gained at least 40 lbs with each kid. High calorie options in my book are chocolate, chips and doughnuts. Starbucks is a love / hate relationship for me. It feels so decadent sometimes. Other times it feels so needed. Sometimes I go weeks and weeks without anything from them...amazing...no $5 coffee. Who knew such things were possible?
    If I had guacamole around for snacking I would be in heaven. I never make it because I am the only one who likes it and it always goes bad before it is gone. Avocados are great; when I remember we have them and then also use them. They are a complete protein you know. :)
    I find that if I just drink a lot of water (instead of basically none), eat some fruit and avoid sweets I do okay. It's the late night bowl of cereal that kills me. Trying to avoid that too. The last midwife told me that cutting back dairy and sugar also helps keep baby's birth weight from being too high (as in, less than 9lbs 14 oz...trust me...too high). Since she told me that BEFORE Michael was born I wasn't too concerned. I had already had two 9lb babies. AFTER Michael was born I thought that I would NEVER eat dairy and sugar at the end of the pregnancy again. I am still in that frame of mind. It hurt that much. In the past week I have dramatically cut my sugar intake.
    I think starting a running program at this point is out of the question. I started walking at 28 weeks with Jacob and wound up in bed for the rest of the day with contractions. Maybe starting with 2 miles was too much? I was thinking of doing, you know, something. Like maybe walk around the block. Once. As in one time. Ever. This the the kind of motivation I have right now.
    Tell me again about 10 miles. HA HA HA!!!
    If I could figure out when I could get to the pool I would go swim laps. Okay. One lap. Hey. It's down AND back.
    I think I should just focus on getting some sleep. As in, going to bed earlier! Like now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. Before I fall asleep...
    What are your thoughts on Yoga and Catholicism? I LOVED doing yoga but got a bit spooked by the spiritual component and the warnings of the Church.
    Your take(s)?

    ReplyDelete