Monday, February 20, 2012

Oh my sainted aunt!

I love that phrase from Willy Wonka (the original movie). What a great expression of exasperation.

Recently, my midwife asked me to train for and run a half-marathon with her. Naturally I said yes. I'm a sucker, I needed a kick in the pants, and I love my midwife. No matter that last year I pretty much felt that 10 miles was plenty for one human to run on one day. In fact, it's more than plenty for one busy, homeschooling mom of 8 to train for. I said "yes" anyway.

But perhaps I should have heeded Thoreau's warning, "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes." I have spent some time worrying about what kind of new jog bra to buy, how many miles are on my shoes and whether I need a new running skirt.  I admit, I love shopping for clothes, but the real reason that I'm shopping is that I look like I'm 4 months pregnant and I'm not.

And so I say, "Oh, my sainted aunt!" To which I will add that I walked for 30 minutes today and am about to go on an 8 minute run.

No comments:

Post a Comment