Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Almost beat a real runner!!

This AM went for a run. Old Hal says I should have done five miles.  About .5 miles into the run I notice a woman who is an Active Duty COL.  She lives down the street and is super fit.  She was kicking my ass.  I reasoned with myself that she has been running longer, blah, blah, blah...

She turned right, I turned left.  A couple of miles later I fell in behind her at the bottom of the long hill home.  I was supposed to run a long loop through a housing area at the top of the hill prior to going home.  I decided to pour it on going up the hill and see if I couldn't at least close the gap between us.

I did! I did!  I came fairly close to getting even with her and was willing to keep chasing this poor woman who was just trying to get home but I would have had to sacrifice yet another loop and thus shorten my run even more.

So I decided that competition can only do so much for motivation before it serves to undermine my entire training program! :)  I probably ran a little over four but definitely tried harder than I would have otherwise.  Wonder when she runs again?

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous! Good for you. Race day is going to be great, huh?

    Did I ever tell you about the day I was riding my bike and got passed by a runner? I'm sure I made his day.

    ReplyDelete