I keep thinking that part of the benefit of training for the ATM is that it shows my kids how to reach a goal. That incremental progress is good and that self discipline will ensure that progress continues. I haven't really thought of it in terms of other life skills.
We talk about following directions nearly every day. Sometimes yelling more than talking actually.
I ran six miles. Well, most of six miles. Walked some but NOT MUCH!
Kids were with me on bikes. I don't think they realized that six miles isn't just around the block. We mapped out the course last night on www.walkjogrun.net. I reviewed the streets with them before we logged off. Went over it again this morning before we left the driveway the first time. The second time was when we came back to trade bikes because Eva's bike has no brakes. Maybe I should spend more time with them while they ride to evaluate their bicycles' performance??
We got through the first part of the course, the complicated part in my mind, and when I asked, "What is the next street?" neither one could tell me. Voice in my head that tells me my kids would be okay if they were left / abandoned / lost / kidnapped and had to find their way home alone...that voice lies.
This went on for a couple of turns. At the half way point they turned onto 3rd Street and waited for their old, slow Mother to arrive. Mother arrived and continued right past them to 1st Street. They protested all the way from 3rd to 1st that they, "Didn't know! I thought it was the last turn!"
We arrived home...okay, Joseph arrived home and waited for Eva who was flagging at the end. They waited for me on the front porch yelling down the street for me to hurry up. I was walking. Joseph informed me that it had been one hour and thirteen minutes and he wasn't going to stop the timer on his watch until I got to the driveway. "Okay", I said,"but the finish was back at the mailboxes [about 400 yds back]. Remember? On the map last night?"
"Oh." Joseph's shoulders fell and he looked despondent. He was so sure he was timing me accurately.
I may make them go with me every Saturday just so we can practice following directions.
Way to go! I'm jealous of your 6 mile abilities, but also your child/bike/run coordinating abilities. When I get to 6, I expect I'll still be doing my .8mi loop. No one will lose me, but we'll be missing out on some life lessons.
ReplyDeleteGood job!!!! Did 8 miles this morning (slowly) and I hurt very much.
ReplyDelete