No matter how badly I want to run, it is school time and that is where my priorities must lay. If I can't be done with my run by 7 am, then it has to wait.
Monday was 3 miles. I usually do these on the treadmill with a 6% slope. I'm very slow, walking much of the way. There is a run in Savannah in early December over the bridge to SC. You can do either the 5k (once over the bridge), the 10k (twice over the bridge) or the double pump (both races). The bridge has a 5 - 6% slope. I believe the uphill is a full mile (including the road leading to the bridge). Since this bridge is the only "hill" in Savannah, I use the treadmill to help me train.
It just didn't happen yesterday morning.
But I lucked out and was able to take Billy to soccer practice all by myself. The road around this park is over a mile long, plus there is a lake with a loop that seems to be just over a half mile. I think my overall distance was just shy of 3 miles. No hills to speak of, but at least I got it done.
I also did pushups and situps on the edge of the soccer field. It amuses me to imagine what the other soccer moms must think of me. One kid, all she does is work out, must be one of the beautiful people. Yeah...
Today was 4 miles. I didn't want to go this morning, since I only just ran the night before. It wasn't until I dropped 4 kids off at piano, put the sleeping tot on the couch and set Petey up on Nick Jr dot com that I could go on. I thought I'd have just enough time to do the distance before my friend Laurie would stop by with my kids and some of hers, and stay with them while I ran to the store and then picked her kids up from piano.
I made it to 2.68 before she called and said her kids would only do a half hour, not an hour, since one was sick. Run...or grocery store with no kids...?
I got off, promising myself I would finish that last 1.32 miles later. It's 10 pm. Not going to happen. Laurie called at 730 pm and the sick kid needed urgent care. I'm typing this out on her computer while her kids sleep and she's checking her watch for the gazillionth time in the ER.
Oh, well, what can you do?
I think it's a 35 minute tempo run tomorrow. A slow buildup to race speed. It's also a school day. We're actually mostly on schedule for that. But it's only week 3. Hopefully we'll manage to stay somewhat on track for that...and hopefully, I will manage to get back on track with my running.
Hope Laurie's kids are okay.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear school is going well and running is mostly going well. Well, going well when it's going.
How's the menu planning / cooking? Sounds like an awesome idea. I am too brain fried to come up with all of that at one time. I have a hard time getting two or three meals planned. Hats off to you!
You sound like you are doing great. I feel like we have that 80/20 thing going. If we can do the real thing 80% of the time and the best we can 20% of the time, we're still moving in the right direction. Good work!
ReplyDeleteCould I negotiate for a 70/30 rule please?
ReplyDelete