This morning Cecilia ran my 1st loop with me, and I smiled to realize that the vivid days on which I desperately begged God to help me get up that hill are behind me. But already in my head I was dreading the 2nd and 3rd times up the hill today. The sun was higher and I was going to be more tired and what about tomorrow when I add 5 minutes to my run and thus a dreaded 4th loop?? I nearly let myself walk just picturing it.
Then Uncle Screwtape popped into my head, and I knew it was a trick. My moment of discouragement was happening while I ran downhill, not up. I decided instead to think about my goals for the race. I looked back and saw that I can run up a hill, but I won't stop to rest on my laurels. Today I need improvement. I headed out 2 hours later than I wanted...but I went. And real world conditions will work in my favor on race day. My goals for October...?
10 miles scares me. It scares me because I know that if I had to run it today, I couldn't. And every training run between now and race day means more work. I see them all layered on top of each other, an enormous mountain for me to run.
Deep breath. A short term goal would be more helpful than a race day strategy. How about I look forward to being able to run a full 30min--about 3 miles--four times this week? How about I happily notice that this is the last week of my pre-running training plan? How about I decide that today's worries are enough for today?
{{hugs}}
ReplyDeleteCrossfit (a work out plan/group/club/mentality that my husband likes) has a motto: "Better than yesterday". In the end, that is all that matters. Today IS better than yesterday. Tomorrow will be better than today - if we just keep plugging away.